Students and faculty from Pellissippi cleaning up New Orleans on their spring break.

Monday, July 03, 2006

My Blackwater Surprise

While I was in New Orleans on vacation with my family, I called the public library to ask about donating some audiobooks from librivox. I talked to Jan Barnes, the Assistant Aquisitions Librarian, who made time to see me.

The main library has been occupied by FEMA as its statewide headquarters, so I had to go through metal detectors inside. I noticed an interesting scene of people waiting to have claims processed by FEMA, so I snapped a couple of photos. Big Mistake.

Before I could be led to Jan's office, I was approached by a woman in a Blackwater shirt who demanded my camera. I refused, saying it was a public place where I should be able to take photos. I said she was not going to take my camera. Then the woman, without showing a badge or citing a law, told me to leave. I told her I was spending tourist dollars to support the city and that I had an appointment to donate audiobooks to the library. She didn't seem to believe me, but finally, after I agreed to delete the two photos, she let me go about my business. It was unpleasant. It was upsetting. It was just the tip of the iceberg of what NOLA natives have been experiencing for the past 10 months, I'm sure.

Although I deleted my photos, I'll tell you what I saw: a bunch of black people waiting for a bunch of white people with computers in front of them. I saw paper signs directing people to wait for FEMA or the SBA (small Business Administration). I saw temporary walls creating a typical drab public office space amidst library stacks which, I would assume, are now off-limits to the general public.

I'm not interested in embarrassing anybody. In fact, if I'd gotten an even slightly apologetic explanation coupled with a request to delete the photos, I would have gladly complied. We southerners are polite to a fault. But there was nothing other than an after-the-fact insistence that I could not take the photographs I had just taken. I got the distinct impression they'd never dealt with this situation at all.

I'm a tourist. Tourists take photos. I'd been shooting private property, state property, and Federal property the entire week. I'd included images of New Orleanians going about their lives as well. Why suddenly did the Federal government see fit to ban photography without notice, either verbal or written? Are the really that concerned about the "privacy" of individuals applying for loans or conducting Katrina-related business?

Leave a comment below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home