Students and faculty from Pellissippi cleaning up New Orleans on their spring break.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

College Volunteers

"If it wasn't for God and the hearts of these young people, nothing would get done," he said as he watched the students haul to the curb moldy books and appliances. "I know it's not easy work. It's dirty, and I'm amazed. They're smiling, like they're glad to do it."


Beverly sent me a copy of this article from the Houston Chronicle that someone had forwarded to her. Sounds like these students were doing the same thing we were. Some schools are even offering credit for the trip. I was impressed by the number of college groups we saw in New Orleans, and it sounds like there are many more in other Gulf Coast areas.

I'd like to somehow pass along some of the energy we have from our trip. I saw some of Melissa's video yesterday, and it looks promising. I've been thinking about putting together a slide show and talking to other schools and civic groups to encourage volunteering. We could get together and talk the whole trip over, which we never really did during the trip itself.

I'll see if I can email most of the Krewe this weekend. I miss the people and the experience of the trip. As exhausted as I was when I got home, I'd go again if I could. I can see how disaster work can be addictive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home