Students and faculty from Pellissippi cleaning up New Orleans on their spring break.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Amazing Survival Stories

I discovered the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank a few days ago. I remembered Adam from Georgetown told me about it when we talked at the Camp Algiers laundry tent. Here are a few excerpts and link.

Looting and Lawlessness in the Bywater
"Now we dont have enough water and no food to eat. So yes,I looted-I shopped all that I could.Im not ashamed. I grabbed that cheese that I always wanted to try,canned food,orange juice,napkins,bactine,face masks,rubber gloves,bleach,trashbags."

Restaurant Owner Screwed by FEMA
"They evacuated, but ran out of gas just outside of town and rode the rest of the way to Houston in the back of a pick-up truck. Days, weeks pass; FEMA finally calls her to say they are sending an inspector to inspect her house, surely to be found flooded and re-flooded. So Pam, being the badass she is, rented a car in Dallas to drive straight through to Kenner in order to be there to meet the inspector. She spent two nights in that car, by herself parked in front of the ruins of her home of 17 years, no electricity anywhere for miles and the inspector never showed."

NOLA Native Remembers Home
"This is a disaster of international proportions. Not since WWII have so many people been displaced by the wholesale destruction of a city. It will be years for native New Orleanians to recover what they've lost. I hope that until then, it will not remain a city that care forgot."

Expatriot Fears the WorstI am horrified by what I see on tv. I wonder if my mother is in any of these crowds. I wonder if any of my loved ones that I have not come in contact with yet or either suffering or dead.

Quasi Military Guy Helps Deploy WiFi at the Hyatt
"There, we 'liberated' a couple of boxes of Starbucks coffee, a coffee maker, and several cups and glasses. There had been other scroungers there before us, but since there was no power, no one else took the things we decided to relocate to room 605. We figured that as long as we had to be subjected to the conditions which existed in the Hyatt at that time, we might as well be as comfortable as possible."

A Kid Tells His Story
"My stepdad went down to New Orleans to get stuff when he found out that our house might be bulldozed.Now im in Metairie,living in Harrahan,and going to my same school.My mom lives in Texas and I only see her for a few days about every two months.that is my story."

Bobbie Jean Moreau's survival story defies description
"My legs felt like jello, I staggered, my daughter screamed, 'Mama what is wrong', I knew at that moment we were going to die. And in and instant survival kicked in, I tore the canopy off the top of the bed, and began tying knots in it, I knew we needed something to hold on to each other with, then I grabbed a belt and tied the baby in a life jacket, she was so small."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home